Lunes, Enero 30, 2012

Haywire, one smashing film


I watched the movie yesterday with my husband. And there’s something odd watching a woman beat up different men while seated beside another man.  I don’t know. Maybe getting the full satisfaction from this girl power showcase lessened in his presence. Nonetheless, I still savored each punch and kick. And damn, that girl can fight. That’s a true female mixed martial arts champion I’m watching there. Yes!


I especially love the hotel room fight scene with Michael Fassbender. A no holds barred brawl with her fully-made up face and gorgeous cocktail dress. He fought like he was fighting a thug.  And if you didn’t see the trailer, his sudden attack from behind after closing the door can be a little unnerving. Good thing, though after collecting her bashed wits, it was like bring it on, brother.


There was a lot of smashing, tackling, subduing, punching, kicking in that small hotel room. A more physical Mr. and Mrs. Smith if you will, less firepower. I mean if a man is going to beat you up or kill you, smash things at him or death-choke him with your legs while lying on bed if you can. Don’t give up without a fight. And in this case, Mallory Kane (Gina Carano) won because she was the better fighter and had something to prove.


Honestly, I expected a faster pace for the movie, more Jason Bourne like. Some scenes were a bit dragging, wobbly in some because these were shot in a handheld camera and some details in the storyline were a little blurry. The plot too, felt rehashed, rogue assassin, revenge. But the fight scenes were quite entertaining and the cobbled streets of Barcelona made quite an impression. Moreover, the cast behind Gina Carano was staggering. Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Ewan McGregor, Tatum Channing and Michael Fassbender. Wow. What a coup of stars.

It’s been a while since I have watched great action by a female figure. I loved Sidney Bristow (Alias) by the way, and I haven't seen the latest season of Nikita by Maggie Q yet, so there. And this movie grabbed me, one powerful action scene after another, each one looking quite authentic and powerful, I enjoyed that.


And before I forget, watching Channing Tatum acting like a jerk was entertaining. It was offbeat, a little risky but it just showed that he’s ready to grow as an actor. Good for him. Even though, I loved his searing performance in Dear John.


So if you happen to pass by a theater or would rather watch it on DVD, Haywire is a movie not to be missed. Especially if you love to see a woman kicking a jerk’s ass or bashing things on his head, for women, at least, it can be oddly therapeutic. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento