Biyernes, Marso 30, 2012

Hunger Games Book and Movie: An unexpected surprise


My husband introduced me to Hunger Games, he bought it and read it first.  After finishing it easily, he told me that he found it interesting. He seldom reads YA books. He loves his gun magazines and legal thrillers so this was a first. Maybe he thought it was a zombie book or something, he digs those kinds of books. But really, Hunger Games? The title alone made me cringe and imagined weird creatures with hungerfests. Then I got curious when I heard Stephanie Meyer loved it. But still, the title?

Then I took a peek and the plot instantly captured me, digging deep into my consciousness. The reaping. The tributes. It was something new and brought me to a new set of characters with colored hair and lived in the weird world of the Capitol where killing innocent children was a spectator event. 

I liked Suzanne Collins' style of writing. It was fast-paced and fairly an easy read. You can blaze your way through the paragraphs without stumbling on too much rambling armed only with your imagination.


I have read the entire Hunger Games trilogy and my favorite one was the first. Maybe because everything was still new and I was excited and apprehensive how it would all end. I liked Gale more than Peeta but I think Peeta complemented Katniss more.


So despite my misgivings that the film may not live up to the book, I watched it. And it didn’t disappoint me. Even it was a little disconcerting to have some wobbly scenes on the first part. I got used to it. And my favorite parts were the parade of Katniss and Peeta in flaming costume while they rode on their chariot and when Katniss angrily grabbed Peeta after he played up his crush on her on the Capitol’s TV show. “You made me look weak” she hissed.


But the most touching part was Rue’s death. The way they focused on the blurring sky like it was how Rue saw it as she was starting to fade was heartfelt. I felt my hands dab on my eyes. The action sequences were also not as graphic as I expected which was good.


The disturbing part of Hunger games for me was the Cornucopia. Not only because of the killings but because it it felt like a reflection of life sometimes. Like we are all actors in a great playing field called life. Like there’s someone in charge, someone who gives out intense problems for us to hurdle and in a moment of fancy sends out surprising solutions like the small silver parachutes that floats from above. Like there’s a gamemaster who wants to lead us where he want us to be, surprising us with balls of fire to get us there. I know it’s kinda profound but doesn't it feel like that sometimes?


And what Peeta said impressed me, he mentioned that he does not want the game to change him, that he will die as himself not as what they want him to be. Maybe it’s also another way of saying that our problems or situations should not define us and we can rise above it if we want to.


Going back to the movie, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna was surprising. He had none of the outrageous hair Effie had but still the gold eyeliner made a statement. It was the first time I've seen him without his shades on and he looks younger than I expected. I love his understated acting. And Woody Harrelson, wow, exactly who I imagine Haymitch Abernathy to be.


And of course, Jennifer Lawrence was brilliant. She really embodied Katniss Everdeen. She exuded the strength and vulnerability of her character while Josh Hutcherson was great as Peeta, he portrayed him with quiet sensitivity and affection that complemented the character of Katniss.


Having said that, I’d like to thank my husband for pestering me to read Hunger Games. He knows that I’m a sucker for strong female characters, think Alias and Nikita. Now it’s Katniss. Reading and watching her journey had been quite a ride and I’m still catching my breath.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento