Huwebes, Mayo 24, 2012

Surviving Mount Manabu, my first hike

I wrote this essay a day after my hike, an account of my exhausting and exhilarating experience that day.


As I’m writing this, my body is still aching from yesterday’s climb from Mt. Manabu. Going there, I thought, this should be a leisurely hike with some moments of easy climb. But I was wrong, we just started with a short walk then bam! a surprising deep descent. What the…?! Then I saw the rocks scattered on the path framed with thin foliage. Then it hit me. This was not going to be a stroll in the park, it's not going to be easy or as fun as I thought it to be. I was so naïve for thinking that.


But..I read that this was rated as one of the easiest mountain to climb or trek in, recommended for beginners? I thought to myself. Apparently, if you’re a seasoned climber, it would be a beginner’s climb for you. But maybe it was just me or..maybe I was still unfit despite running 10ks (I know I am) or... maybe it was the huge backpack's fault, it was hindering me from moving faster. Because the group’s pace was brisk. Man, it was fast. They were walking on those rocks like a gazelle and I was a hippo lumbering on it. But I can’t blame them, most are on their third to fourth climbs already. I was the only first time hiker.


Then suddenly I slipped in one of the slippery rocks with a crevice on it. They all looked back and I was so embarrassed. The team leader checked if I was okay and told him I was, inside I more flustered than anything. I bumped my knee but I was okay. The trek was just starting and I was slipping already. So I realized then this was not my element, the rocks, the soil, the shrubs. It was my husband’s who grew up near the mountains. He who came with me to watch out for the over the top ideas of adventure I got myself… and him into. Like zip-lining and running. Now, it was hiking.


He was built sturdier than I am. Like a mountain. Steady and reliable. And I am like the ocean, fickle and unpredictable. He’s more of the mountain goat and I’m the sea siren, just kidding. Besides, I grew up going to the beach, playing in the sand, lying in the water watching the clouds, pretending I was a mermaid. I never hiked at all. So this was something new to me.


The rocky and slippery path was the beginning of the nightmare for me. It would mostly be an uphill climb in a steep slope with damp soil and moss covered rocks. My backpack was getting heavier as I grabbed tree trunks, rocks, vines on the way up. There was a rope area for some part of the climb. My heart was beating so fast with the exertion. I was breathing so hard, I thought is it me or is the air getting thinner? So I rested what seemed to be like every five or two minutes. It was a nonstop climb and I was at the tail end of the group. I didn’t care. I just want to survive this. My husband went in front of me and offered to take my pack, I refused, I can do this, I thought, I’m hard core hahaJ Not!


Then we got to the grasslands, it was near the summit. We rested a bit there before going up. I was so exhausted I was not able to fully appreciate the mountains beginning to surround me. But I can tell you, it was enthralling, to see their beauty, their grandness. No picture and video can capture it. It was so different in person. And mind you, it's not the summit yet.


Then we prepared to ascend the summit. It was another ten minutes of uphill climb. Man, I was so tired. My legs were ready to surrender, it was so weakened, it can hardly take another step. When we reached the top, I almost slumped to the ground. Then I looked at the scenic mountain range. The emerald mountains under the azure sky. Unbelievable. The beauty and majesty of nature translated onto these mountains. So this is what people are beating themselves up to see, no wonder. It is definitely worth the arduous climb :) I just wish I was not so breathless, I could have taken more pictures.


The people who were ahead of me were already joking around when I reached the summit. I was exhausted out of my mind. Then after about fifteen minutes or so, the guide told us that we’ll have to take our lunch in the grotto down the path because the sun was high up already and we had no shade. Meaning we have to go down. Now. Whhhhat? I just got here! I thought, I’m still excruciatingly tired and you want me to go down already? Wow. That was just brutal. But they reached the summit earlier so I have no choice. I didn’t want to delay the group.


Then we proceeded to walk downhill. It was another path and it was as steep. I was scared because I was a little klutz on uneven ground. I easily get sprained from misstep. There were also areas of ravine and one slip could lead you tumbling down. It was a little scary. And I thought, who the hell does this for fun, seriously?! This is just crazy. Good thing, the designated “sweeper” of the group meaning the one who made sure that no one wanders off offered to take my backpack while my husband took my hand when I paused on the precarious rocks.


If not for them, I would have stood there paralyzed in fear. They were my lifesavers. And I was bitching already, how far is it? Are we there yet? I asked repeatedly. Poor guys, they were navigating the steps themselves, helping me at that and I was an earful. But I was just so tired and scared. If I sprained my ankle or worst fractured something, how am I supposed to go down the mountain? I didn’t want someone to carry me down, hell no, that would too embarassing.  And in our country, a helicopter rescue is very rare, in fact I’m not sure if it even exist. Moreover, they couldn’t send an army chopper just to get me.


We’re in the middle of nowhere and my thoughts were about my son. I have to get down the mountain in one piece for him. So it became one step at a time. I just want to get home. Then we reached the grotto area and I lay down in a hut. We had lunch there and it was a longer rest this time. And I got up refreshed especially when I said a prayer.


The hard part of going down was over. There were still some hard parts and there were still stumbles and slips but I recovered. And after a final hard climb, we finally got back. Whew! I was so happy that I lasted that long and didn’t quit. The ones who arrived earlier clapped their hands when they saw me. Wow, that was touching, thank you guys.

I’m not sure when my next hike would be. But next time, I’ll be ready. I hope to be fitter mentally and physically. So now I have to beef up my running time and try trail running perhaps? J


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento