Lunes, Hunyo 18, 2012

Watching my first Ballet: World Stars of Ballet


I didn’t know what to expect from the ballet. Maybe get bored or be impatient. But that was not the case. It has been more than a week and I'm still enthralled by it, this inspiring display of strength and grace. These are not the delicates, the frou frous or the effeminates in tights but athletes.


Like with the mountaineers I saw in Mt. Manabu with large packs on their backs, I am still in awe of them, they who have mastered their bodies, bending it to their will. I have never been athletic, I'm more of a bookworm so watching people with this high level of physical intelligence is a treat. 


Besides, it must not have been easy to perform in front of the hundreds of people inside Aliw Theater when every mistake can be gasped at or every tumble can result to a muffled shriek. But their performance had been almost flawless except when one dancer faltered after a long twirl. But who wouldn’t? It’s a surprise he was still standing after an arduous spin. All of them were standing on tip toes most of the time and twirling and twirling without missing a beat. How can they still smile after turning 360 degrees almost five times is a miracle to me. Lots of practice and strong physical constitution, I guess.


It’s quite different when you see them up close, the ballet dancers. Watching them on TV, they look like china dolls in shimmery costumes, light and frilly. Even the men. But watching them live on stage, it’s another story. Witnessing the strong, leaping strides, powerful jumps and lifts that make the ladies look weightless on their backs, makes you realize that they are athletes in their own right, rendering the same tremendous grit to polish their skills and spending countless hours in practice. You can see the sweat literally flying on the stage.


Even the ladies are not lightweight. Behind the sheen of their dreamy costumes are taut back muscles and hardened calves, symbols of their dedication to their craft. Pirouetting in rich classical music, it’s easy to be lost in their performance. You can’t be bored. And I feel lucky to have witnessed it, thanks to a complimentary ticket courtesy of my husband. It is art coming to life.


Watching the Philippines, premier prima ballerina, Lisa Macuja who is set to retire soon is also a gift. Her petite frame belies her graceful power. I held my breath when she spinned from the back of the stage to the front nonstop. To have such poise, balance and power is almost surreal. Who can do that? Apparently, all the prima ballerinas from the Russian, American, Norwegian ballet troupes can. But Ms. Macuja’s performance had a certain lightness to it, a certain joy. Okay, I’m biased J But she was smiling all throughout the performance like it was a pleasure for her to perform, no wonder she’s our most famous prima ballerina J

Trying something for the first time like climbing a mountain or watching a ballet performance have corrected my misconceptions about certain things. That climbing mountains is more than just leisurely walking but a daring activity that invokes agility, surefootedness and mental strength while the ballet is not a show of the whimsical but a performance that radiates strength, grace and dedication. I’m glad I have been found wrong and I’m glad I have witnessed both J

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento